I thought today would be filled with normal busy-ness. My to-do list included 15 items, some of which were easy (give dogs flea/tick/heartworm meds), others were lengthy (mow). I did not complete my list, but I made a good dent, even with all the detours! Some of the list was easily delegated to the kids.
I started my day by mowing the goat pen. The silly goats are not as fast at eating as the weeds are at growing. It was a quick mow, and I kept the blade high so it won’t take long for the weeds to be tall again.
Moved on to mowing most of the park area, then the backyard. Unfortunately, our backyard is badly sloped, which resulted in this:
That picture is from a few weeks ago when hubby did the same thing. I had foolishly thought that since the ground was dry this time the mower would be able to handle the slope. I was wrong.
Hubby was at work, so my oldest and I copied his method and got the mower (both the machine and me!) out of this predicament. Tractor to the rescue! The chain and winch is actually supposed to be for trees, but I think right now the usage is tied between trees and getting the zero turn out of the fence….
Meanwhile, back at the barn…..
When P and I went up to get the tractor we found the goats had escaped and were eating chicken scratch out of the storage bin. This is their first ever escape where they weren’t coming toward our voices. They were pretty easy to get back to their pen, if they had been super stubborn I would have pulled out the secret weapon to goat love: rabbit food pellets.
I was able to get back to mowing and got a good bit done today. There is more to do tomorrow, but not too much.
Our peacock keeps showing off! He is gorgeous. We really need to name him and his harem.
I need to get a good picture of his tail completely out, but he hasn’t been in the right position when I had my camera handy yet. This pen is temporary- in a few weeks they will free range. This is really barely big enough for him to spread his tail in one direction (the other direction has plenty of room). It is sufficient for him for learning where home is and will be great for night time once they are all free ranging.
Lots of normal stuff and tasks handed to the kids. The goats escaped again, this time into a different weedy part of the yard.
I took the teens to youth group, and when we got back they had to do their nightly animal chores. Hubby came out to look at the peacock with us and I had to take the goats on a walk. Except the goats were out of their pen again! E thinks they are mad that I mowed down their weeds, I think mowing the weeds opened up their eyes to the possibilities beyond their pen and showed them an easy escape route.
The goats love their nightly walk. They pretty much lead the way.
The white goat is Storm, the black one is Confetti. They are spoiled rotten and I love it.
About a week and a half ago our guinea fowl quit coming back to the barn at night. We will see them and hear them occasionally during the day, so we knew they were nesting somewhere. The older girls had unsuccessfully searched for the nest over the weekend. Tonight while I was out with the goats I heard the guinea, so I suggested they might be nesting in the cow pasture. E went off and after a while yelled “I found them!”
They are nesting in a pile of brambles we had cut down from the fence line– a mixture of honeysuckle, autumn olive and wild rose. Between the brambles and the cows, they seem to be really safe, we hope!
E brought back 26 eggs so we could incubate them, leaving 5 for the guinea to brood. Potentially they will lay more.
So now we have 40 guinea eggs in the incubator. Oh my, not sure what we are going to do with so many if they all survive!
Current bird totals: 7 free range chickens plus 1 rooster, 12 pullets we raised from chicks that will free range after Fair. A pair of Mille Fleurs (bantum chickens) that were given to me by a nice man at a Poultry Swap. 21 Meat Chicks that are almost 2 weeks old, living in a cow water tub in the half bath by my laundry room. Those will be gone after Fair- either sold at Fair after showing or made into freezer meals. 3 guinea that free range, 4 peafowl.
Current egg totals: 40 guinea eggs in the incubator and 5 in the nest, 30 chicken eggs in the incubator and a bunch in my fridge (yum!), and a few peafowl eggs that we aren’t incubating, waiting to see if the birds will do it on their own.
Yikes. We seem to like collecting birds…..